13. 12. 2017
The European Association for the Education of Adults (EAEA) is a non-governmental organization, founded in 1953, with more than 140 members from 44 countries.
- Advocacy work – especially as far as non-formal adult education and lifelong learning are concerned; cooperation with EU institutions, national and regional governments and many international and national NGOs; membership in several influential European associations and platforms;
- Representation of adult education civil society in official working groups and conferences;
- Release of publications, reports, handbooks as well as project information and results;
- Facilitation of contacts with and between adult education stakeholders and other NGOs as well as close cooperation with EU decision-makers;
- Cooperation with other research and development institutions, including universities;
- Leading of and cooperation in Erasmus+ projects.
The Slovenian Institute for Adult Education (SIAE) has been an active member of EAEA. We have supported EAEA’s initiatives. For example, the founding of the Interest Group for Lifelong Learning at the European Parliament, the Slovenian representative in the group being Dr Milan Zver.
In 2017 we joined their initiative Year of Adult Education in Europe. Under the slogan The Power and Joy of Learning we carried out a so called joint action under the umbrella of the Slovenian Lifelong Learning Week and emphasized the role of learning at several national and local events.
In addition, we have collaborated in several projects, e.g. LSE – Life Skills for Europe, ARALE – Awareness Raising for Adult Learning and Education, BeLL – Benefits of Lifelong Learning, KYL – Know Your Lifestyle, RENEWAL – Regional NetWorking for Adult Learning in Europe, DIMA – A Toolkit for Developing, Implementing and Monitoring Adult Education, and others.
Currently, we are collaborating in SkillHUBS project – Transnational prison up-skilling guidance and training model.
EAEA published the first issue of the Manifesto for Adult Learning in the 21st Century in 2016. SIAE translated the text and contributed Slovenian examples and learners’ stories:
In 2019, the EAEA released an updated version of the Manifesto for Adult Learning in the 21st Century: The Power and Joy of Learning. We also translated its messages and supplemented them with the Slovenian stories:
- in English: Manifesto for Adult Learning in the 21st Century: The Power and Joy of Learning (2019) and its one-pager;
- in Slovenian: Manifest za učenje odraslih v 21. stoletju: Moč in radost učenja (2019) and its one-pager.